Dr. Dustin Abnet
Contemporary American Issue Worksheet (50 PTS, P/F)
DUE: Start of Class on Tuesday, July 14 either online or in person
In this assignment, you are required to choose and write about a divisive issue in contemporary America that resonates with the topics of the course. You will then find a couple of news articles, videos, etc. from multiple sides of topic, attach them to the sheet (or insert the link into the text), and explain how and why the issue divides Americans.
1) What divisive issue in American culture do you want to write about?
2) Why do you want to write about it?
3) Provide Links to at least TWO news articles, videos, websites, etc from EACH major side in the debate. PLUS: ONE LINK to a more objective (less obviously one-sided) piece on the issue. (So at least 5 links or attached sheets in total)
4) How does each side of the debate define and imagine America? In other words, what do they want American to be?
5) How does each side of the debate define and imagine the ideal (or typical) American? In other words, who do they assume “real” Americans are?