PSYCHOLOGY DISCUSSION 9
“But I Thought It Was Good Enough. Why Revise?”Please respond to the following:
Select one of the quotes provided here and discuss what you think the writer is trying to convey about writing and editing. Then, describe the challenges you have had and the benefits you have experienced with revising and polishing your written work.
- “The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is you really want to say.” ~Mark Twain
- “The writer must learn to read critically but constructively, to cut what is bad to reveal what is good. Eleanor Estes, the children’s book author, explains: ‘The writer must survey his work critically, coolly, as though he were a stranger to it. He must be willing to prune, expertly and hard-heartedly.’” ~ Donald M. Murray
- “You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what’s burning inside you. And we edit to let the fire show through the smoke.” ~Arthur Polotnik
ENGLISH DISCUSSION 9
“Motivation” Please respond to the following:
- Describe an activity you enjoy (and engage in consistently) and discuss your motivation for engaging in that activity by applying the concepts discussed in Chapter 9. Provide specific examples to support your response
Assignment 1: Retrospective Analysis of Personality
Due Week 9 and worth 220 points
In this assignment, begin by taking a retrospective look at your life history, to discuss which aspects of your personality have remained consistent and which aspects of your personality have changed over time. Then, analyze the roles of nature and nurture in shaping your personality. Subsequently, discuss possible sources of inaccuracy and bias in any retrospective analysis. Finally, discuss the reasons why systematic scientific studies are considered more valuable than individual accounts.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Reflect on your life history and discuss which aspects of your personality have changed over time and which aspects have stayed consistent.
- Based on your retrospective analysis, describe the roles of nature and nurture in shaping your personality. Reflect on your justification for distinguishing between nature and nurture.
- Discuss the possible sources of bias and inaccuracy whenever a person looks back on their past history. Be sure to discuss factors related to memory and factors related to cognition.
- Describe why the science of psychology places more emphasis on results based on scientific studies than it does on personal experience and anecdotes