ASSIGNMENT PART 1
Trends in Resource Development
Resource development professionals must be particularly sensitive to societal, political, and technological events and changes, given that many of them influence how and why donors give. For example, a change in political leadership might prompt new donors to give. Similarly, a technological advancement might make it easier for resource development professionals to cultivate, educate, and solicit donors. As a result, resource development professionals must adapt their strategies based on societal, political, and technological events and changes, ultimately creating new trends in resource development.
- Review the article “When Venture Philanthropy Rocks the Ivory Tower,” and consider how new types of donors might produce trends in resource development.
- Reflect on the nonprofit organization Young Life..
- Select two trends of interest to you and consider how they might impact resource development strategies in that organization.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by WEDNESDAY 9PM NEW YORK TIME an explanation of how societal, political, and/or technological events and changes led to at least two trends in resource development. Then explain the potential impact of each trend on particular resource development strategies in the nonprofit organization you selected for your Final Project, using specific examples.
ASSIGNMENT PART 2
Challenges in Resource Development
In ASSIGNMENT PART 1, you explor trends in resource development, many of which originated from specific societal and technological events and changes. While these events and changes certainly present many opportunities for resource development professionals, they also present many unique challenges. For instance, the Internet creates new and easy ways for nonprofit organizations to garner support for their causes from potential donors worldwide, rather than being limited to potential donors in a specific geographic area. As a result, however, development professionals face more competition for donor funding in this global playing field.
In this Discussion, you will explore this challenge and others. You also will consider how specific challenges related to resource development might be addressed.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Reflect on this week’s first Discussion and consider trends related to resource development. Then think about specific challenges that might arise from such trends.
- Select two challenges to use in this Discussion and consider how you might address each.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by WEDNESDAY 9PM NEW YORK TIME an analysis of at least two challenges related to resource development in nonprofit organizations. Then explain how you might address each. Be specific.
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of the assigned resources for this week. To view this week’s media resources, please use the streaming media player below.
- Article: Boverini, L. (2006). When venture philanthropy rocks the ivory tower. International Journal of Educational Advancement, 6(2), 84–106. THIS RESOURCE IS UPLOADED AS A PDF FOR YOUR REVIEW
- Online Article: Grizzard, C. (2009). Industry outlooks: The new fundraising paradigm. Association of Fundraising Professionals. Retrieved from http://www.afpnet.org/ResourceCenter/ArticleDetail.cfm?ItemNumber=3978