By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assignment criteria:
- Competency 5: Implement a strategy for reducing conflict.
- Propose strategies for reducing conflict based on a systems analysis.
- Competency 7: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
- Communicate in a manner that respects the dignity, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and individual uniqueness of others.
For this assignment, you will analyze the conflicts at Webuwrite Academy using systems theory, as described by Wilmot and Hocker in Chapter 7.
When people think of conflict, they often tend to think only about the actual conflict itself. They often fail to contextualize that conflict within the norms and background of a larger organization or group. This type of contextualization is an important part of understanding a conflict more fully, and of better understanding how to resolve the conflict.
Systems theory is a method of analyzing conflict that goes beyond looking at individual behavior and goals, and instead focuses on the patterns of interactions between individuals as a part of a whole organization. Systems theory also focuses on the roles that individuals play within organizations.
For this assignment, review the Webuwrite Academy Simulation. Then, using the information about systems theory that you read in Chapter 7 of the Wilmot and Hocker text, complete the following:
- Define systems theory clearly, in your own words.
- Choose one of the conflicts at Webuwrite Academy (such as Brad versus Jill, Melanie versus Jeff, Meera versus Angela, or other conflict). Briefly describe the conflict.
- Then analyze what you know about the system (Webuwrite Academy) that is contributing to this conflict. To help you analyze the system, refer to the detailed Conflict Assessment Guide on pages 242–245 of the Wilmot and Hocker text. Choose relevant questions from this outline to assist you in your analysis.
- Based on your systems analysis of this conflict, propose some possible solutions or strategies for reducing the conflict. Remember, systems theory looks beyond individuals and examines at the system as a whole, so solutions may need to involve systemic changes as opposed to individual ones.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th Edition) style and formatting.
- Page requirements: 3–5 pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman or Arial, 12 point.
- Attach document in Microsoft Word format.