The summary and recommendations section of an assessment report is where all of the relevant information, insights, and data come together. Rather than being a finishing point, this report and these recommendations become a living document that ultimately will help an individual continue to forge a path free from addiction.
Parts 1 and 2 of this assessment report provide an introduction to the skills required for good report writing. For most locales, requiring licensing and credentialing, additional coursework, and experience is needed to better develop report writing competency.
Appendix 3 in the course text will give you the basics about the DSM-IV-TR and how substance use disorders are diagnosed. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th ed.), the appendix titled “Highlights of Changes from DSM-IV to DSM-5” illustrates the changes in Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders made in the DSM-5. Do not forget to look back over past readings, because this Assignment will involve other professionals (people to whom you might want to refer the client) in addition to a summary of the most critical parts of what you believe is going on with this client.
Review the Learning Resources, including the following:
- Essentials of Assessment Report Writing (Chapters 1–6)
- Chemical Dependency Counseling: A Practical Guide
- Appendix 3, “DSM-IV-TR Psychoactive Substance Use Disorder”
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th ed.)
- Appendix, “Highlights of Changes from DSM-IV to DSM-5”
- The media from Week 3 titled Interviewing Techniques.
Submit by Day 7 Part 2 of the assessment report, Summary and Recommendations, including the following:
- Section 1: Synthesize Assessment Findings (2–3 pages)
- Summarize your impressions of the individual, discussing characteristics that resemble DSM-5categories related to substance-related and addictive disorders.
- Section 2: Referral Recommendations: Multidisciplinary Team Approach (1–2 pages)
- Include a list of other professionals or organizations that may be enlisted to employ a multidisciplinary team approach toward continuing or enhancing treatment for the individual. Explain what each professional or organization might contribute.
- Section 3: Confidentiality (2–3 paragraphs)
- Based on the American Psychological Association and other governing standards, describe how this report should be stored and disseminated in an ethical manner.