Write an essay 2-5 pages typed, double-spaced, citing primary texts (Meno, Phaedo) and academic secondary sources e.g. (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy or any of the articles or books listed in the bibliography of the text pp. 155-56) on one of the following topics:
1) Discuss the role of wisdom in true virtue according to Meno and the Phaedo.
2) At the end of the Meno Socrates says that it will be a benefit to the Athenians if Meno can convince Anytus of the conclusions they’ve reached in the dialogue (cf. 100a-b); given your reading of the Apology and Anytus’s role there what lesson learned in the Meno could be of benefit to Anytus and Meletus?
3) Discuss Plato’s arguments for recollection in the Meno; what puzzle is recollection supposed to solve?
4) At Phaedo 86a-d Simmias puts forward the view that the soul is a sort of harmony. Socrates provides at least two arguments against this view of the soul in the text that follows. Describe his arguments and explain why you think they are convincing or not.
5) Explain Socrates’ arguments against Cebes’s objection that the soul is long-lasting but not immortal (Phaedo (95c ff); are they persuasive? why or why not?
6) Compare and contrast any two (or three) of the five dialogues we have studied one of the dialogues must be either the Meno or the Phaedo; make sure to refer to the text by title and line number and cite any secondary sources used.