Identify a current application for digital technology you believe has social, moral, and ethical implications for teachers and/or students based on your current role in education (e.g., grade level, content area, leadership role)
Identify a current application for digital technology you believe has social, moral, and ethical implications for teachers and/or students based on your current role in education (e.g., grade level, content area, leadership role). If you are not currently working in an educational setting (broadly defined), please identify a context you are interested in using to frame your work. Technology is broadly defined to include anything from a piece of hardware (laptop, gaming console, tablet) to software, apps, and social media platforms.
For this assignment, you will write one paper framed to argue its point toward a particular audience. You must first decide who you are considering to be the audience of the paper. Then, do the research and write the paper as if you will be giving it to that audience. Choose one of the following:
- Write a short policy brief that could be given to the school board, administration, or the legislature with practical recommendations.
- Write an informational document with practical recommendations for your school’s parents.
Research the issue, identifying various perspectives on the positives and negatives of this topic. As you are researching, pay particular attention to educational implications for access, equity, social relationships, privacy laws/concerns, etc. This research serves as the foundation of ideas for the paper you will write.
Citing at least three research-based sources, write a 4- to 5-page paper (policy brief or informational document noted above) for your chosen audience that covers the following:
- Briefly describe the issue you will discuss.
- Explain the technology tool or application you have chosen. How do you see it related to ethical concerns for students and/or teachers?
- Identify your chosen emphasis area for character development based on your reading from the course text (Seider, 2012).
- Identify current research on the topic that looks at trends in this area (this might include statistics on use, frequency of negative behaviors, etc.).
- Pay particular attention to social and moral issues that are raised as related to your chosen technology.
- Develop a synthesis of recommendations for safe, ethical use of that particular technology application, while also supporting educational initiatives or aims of schooling.
- Tie your recommendations back to the social, moral, and character development issues discussed in this course.
- Consider whether you are advocating for a view of character that emphasizes moral, performance, or civic character (Seider, 2012). Ensure your perspective, as it relates to your technology issue, is evident.
Please consider your chosen audience when writing the paper. Imagine that you will use the paper to share the information with the audience in an engaging way, and write accordingly.
Ideas for this project include, but are not limited to, topics such as:
- Facebook, Edmodo, Google+ in the classroom
- Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Ask.fm, alternate forms of social media
- Cyberbullying, Cyberbaiting
- Smartphones, mobile technology in school
- Student access to Internet outside of school to complete schoolwork
- Google Apps for Education
- Technology for testing
- Filming in the classroom (by teachers)
- Use of YouTube with/by students
- Use of media clips and films in the classroom
- Wearable technology
- One-to-one technology initiatives
- Flipped classrooms or flipped pedagogy
- Digital footprints and data safety/student privacy, digital citizenship
- Online learning in K-12 settings
- Gamification (games-based learning)
- Teacher blogging
- Digital fabrication (3D printing)
- Robotics (drones)
Support your statements with evidence from the Required Studies and your research. Cite and reference your sources in APA style.
This course includes this assignment as a critical assessment documenting your learning on the national standards described below. For information on the critical assessment policy, please review the course syllabus. Be sure to review the rubric for the assignment.
3g: The teacher promotes responsible learner use of interactive technologies to extend the possibilities for learning locally and globally.
5k: The teacher understands the demands of accessing and managing information as well as how to evaluate issues of ethics and quality related to information and its use.
9f: The teacher advocates, models, and teaches safe, legal, and ethical use of information and technology including appropriate documentation of sources and respect for others in the use of social media.
|Due Monday||Post Trade Book Reviews|
|Due Tuesday||Peer Responses Trade Book Reviews|
|Due Wednesday||Post The Values and Morals of Character Role Models in the Movies|