Discuss the relationship between social bonding theory and the various sociological schools of crime causation.
2 assignments due
This 1st assignment needs to be at least 1 ½ pages in length (do not do it by word count) and please no headlines. Will be checked using turnitin for plagiarism.
The article “Race, Family Structure, and Delinquency: A Test of Differential Association and Social Control Theories”(preview & abstract can be found at the bootom of http://www.jstor.org/stable/2095837?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents) uses theoretical mechanisms to discuss “how broken homes may influence delinquency among blacks and nonblacks” (Matsueda & Heimer, 1987, p. 826). After reflecting on this article, discuss whether the factors present in 1987 are still currently present, and discuss whether the present factors can be addressed by social bonding theory. If you believe the factors cannot be addressed by social bonding theory, evaluate the theoretical study of crime and crime causation, and discuss how the factors can be addressed.
The 2nd assignment is 3 ½ pages in a word document, do not base it off of word count. Please do not include any headers and should be left aligned. No plagiarized information, IT WILL BE CHECKED USING TURNITIN!!!
Travis Hirshi’s social bonding theory is a form of social control. While other criminological theories attempt to explain why crime occurs, social bonding theory explains why people conform to the norms of society and away from deviant and antisocial behaviors. Many argue the threat of punishment as being a deterrent. However, Travis Hirshi, in his contentions, believes there are other factors beyond punishment that are responsible for conformity. Watch The Social Bond Theory video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9AaITvt3I), which provides examples of the four elements of the theory.
In your paper,
- Explain Travis Hirschi’s social bonding theory.
- Describe the four elements of social bonding theory.
- Discuss how the social bonding theory affects conformity in America.
- Discuss the relationship between social bonding theory and the various sociological schools of crime causation.
Your paper must
- Be 3 1/2 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style
- Use at least five scholarly sources in addition to the course text and the article being evaluated.