Assume that you are working in a community health department. The department has some federal money that it wants to allocate to two health promotion programs from the following:
- Decrease in deaths from cardiovascular disease
- Decrease in deaths from breast cancer
- Decrease in teenage pregnancy
- Decrease in cigarette smoking
- Decrease in incidence of diabetes
- Decrease in motor vehicle accidents
- Decrease in osteoporosis and hip fractures among women
- Decrease in obesity
Identify the health promotion programs that you would want to investigate and get them approved by your instructor.
Write a 3- to 4-page report in a Microsoft Word document, addressing the following questions:
- Identify the risk factors associated with the selected health promotion programs.
- What is the target population associated with the selected health promotion program? Consider the hypothetical target population, consisting of middle-aged women, male adolescent gang members, premature infants, etc., and describe the characteristics of each program.
- What are the risk factors that you want to focus on in order to achieve the objective of the health promotion program?
- What intervention would you recommend to be most appropriate to reduce exposure to these risk factors? You can choose at what level of intervention you want to implement each program (primary, secondary, tertiary health intervention).
- What will be the process by which this intervention will achieve the goal of the program?
- What will be the anticipated outcome of this intervention?
Importance of Vaccination
Mary’s one year old daughter is due to be given the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccine during her next visit to the doctor. Mary is upset and concerned because one of her friend’s sons became ill after a similar vaccination. She has also heard rumors that MMR vaccine causes rubella. Mary was also told that her daughter will need to be vaccinated before Mary returns to work.
Mary is not alone. Many parents face this issue. Therefore, it is important for Mary and all such parents to make decisions that are best for their children, based on facts and not emotions.
Place yourself in the role of a health care worker, submit to the discussion area your plan to validate the importance of vaccination by addressing the following questions:
- Why are vaccinations necessary components of the healthcare programs?
- Are there reasons for people not being vaccinated despite of such elaborate healthcare programs? Explain.
- What are the consequences of people not being vaccinated?
- What is the impact of religious, cultural, legal, and ethical issues that parents need to consider before vaccination?
- What type of information will help the parents make an informed decision about vaccinating their children?
Using the South University Online Library or the Internet, research and read about a health issue in specific regions in the United States. Some examples of the topics for your research could be:
- HIV or AIDS in African-Americans in Southern United States.
- Alcoholism in Native Americans in Midwestern United States.
- Diabetes among Navajo people in Southwest United States.
- Obesity among low-income children in Eastern United States.
Note: You may choose another population and region, these are just examples. You may also visit the Library of this course to gather data for your research.
Based on your research and data gathered, create a report in a 3- to 4-page Microsoft Word document, that addresses the following:
- The main issues being discussed and the message you wish to deliver to the affected population.
- Population affected.
- Age, gender, race, socioeconomic class, sexual orientation, religion, etc. of the target population.
- Segment of the United States population affected along with the percentage.
- Social factors such as culture and religion that may influence the burden of the disease.
- Ethical issues that may be factors in developing and implementing prevention and intervention programs for the disease.
- Various components of the health care system that can assist the community.
- Methods that the health care system should use to assist the community. (For example, state health care systems may revise or develop new policies to address the issue).
Support your responses with examples and a structured document free of spelling and grammatical errors, and appropriate references at the end of the document of sources you cited in the paper; Cite any sources in accordance to APA guidelines.