Conduct your research into assessment tools and choose two that you believe will generate the most accurate developmental information on the child. The two chosen are: 1. Ages & Stages Questionnaires®, Third Edition (ASQ-3™) 2. Nipissing District Developmental Screening (NDDS)
The focus of this assignment is to offer the student the opportunity to review and analyze a variety of assessment tools for use with young children.
The focus will be on the student’s research and analysis skills and will increase the student’s understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of screening tools, developmental checklists and standardized assessment tools.
When you are working as a professional in the field of family and children’s services, it is important for you to have a solid understanding of the applications and limitations of assessment tools for identifying the developmental needs of an individual child.
STEPS to FOLLOW:
Chose one of the children from the Case Study (SAM)
You will read through the case study and focus on one of the children in order to complete this assignment. You will clearly identify your concerns for this child in terms of potential risks to ongoing development; environmental and potentially physical, cognitive and social/emotional risks or concerns. Be clear and specific in stating your concerns and ensure that you present reputable research to “back-up” your inferences on the potential impact of the risk factors on the child’s development.
Conduct your research into assessment tools and choose two that you believe will generate the most accurate developmental information on the child. The two chosen are:
1. Ages & Stages Questionnaires®, Third Edition (ASQ-3™)
2. Nipissing District Developmental Screening (NDDS)
There must be a connection between your identification of risks and concerns, and your choice of screening and assessment tools. Keep in mind your focus is to be on identifying the child’s developmental needs and informing your intervention planning and practices. The tools must be shown to be valid and reliable.
DO NOT USE A “CUT AND PASTE” format from website information on the tool. Rather, in your own words, discuss how the features of the specific tools are likely to provide you with the most helpful information as you continue to plan and implement supports for the child based on the risks that you determine need immediate attention. Also clearly indicate if any weaknesses are inherent in the structure or use of the tool itself (i.e. how or when it is to be used, by whom, and how you might have to make modifications in order to generate the most useable results).
The following is an outline of additional information you will need to consider, reflect on, and directly address in the writing of your analysis paper. THIS IS NOT A QUESTION AND ANSWER ASSIGNMENT so I do not want to read individual “answers” to the following points. All should be included in a thoughtful and well-structured paper.
1. Provide proof that the tools chosen are appropriate for the child’s age, suspected level of development, and whether or not any biological or environmental concerns relevant to the child are appropriately addressed. Include a discussion on these points and how you know this.
2. Your analysis of each tool should include a justification of why it was chosen and how and where you would plan to use it (i.e. use yourself in the classroom with the child, have it completed by a home visitor, or request a psychologist or a psychometrist to consult). Consider the possible barriers to implementing the tools as designed and how you might have to make specific modifications when using the tools; e.g. environmental limitations, child’s characteristics and temperamental issues, parent issues or concerns?
3. Who would you want to be present and part of the assessment process? With whom would you hope to share the results and why? Of those you can foresee might be involved in the child’s life (both family members and professionals), who might be most interested in the results /scores generated by the use of the tools and why?
Currently 2 writers are viewing this order