Identify the various roles of team members in providing academic support in an inclusive environment.
There is no “I” in Team!
In this assignment you will demonstrate your understanding of the following learning objective:
- Identify the various roles of team members in providing academic support in an inclusive environment.
The assignment represents your mastery of the Course Learning Outcome 4.
Murawski and Spencer (2011) define inclusion as “an academic setting that provides support and service in the general education classroom so that students with a disability have equitable access to the same curriculum as their peers” (p. 19). Inclusion can consist of one class period up to a full day (i.e., “full inclusion”). Regardless of the time spent within the general education classroom, the overarching theme of inclusive education is collaboration between the general educator, the special educator, service providers, and paraprofessionals/instructional assistants to provide meaningful and engaging curriculum for all students. Strategies for creating materials and providing instructional delivery vary depending on your role in the collaborative education team.
One method for developing and teaching lessons is through Universal Design for Learning (UDL), which is used “to reduce barriers, as well as optimize levels of challenge and support, to meet the needs of all learners from the start” (National Center on Universal Design for Learning, 2012, para. 2). Team members involved in this type of planning and delivery include the general educator and any other education or service providers who support students with disabilities in the general classroom. Another method that can be incorporated with UDL is Differentiated Instruction (DI), whereby “teachers can structure learning environments that address the variety of learning styles, interests, and abilities found within a classroom”(Willoughby, 2005). This means that teachers provide learning options, challenge levels, and assessment choices in order to engage all students according to their needs and ability levels.
Your paper must meet the following requirements:
- Curriculum Design (3 Points): Describe the role of the special educator and one other team member (such as the general educator or service provider) in planning curriculum design using UDL and DI.
- Instructional Delivery (3 Points): Describe the role of the special educator and one other team member (such as the general educator or service provider) in instructional delivery in inclusive settings.
- Professional Responsibility (2 Points): Describe the professional responsibility of the special educator and one other team member (such as the general educator or service provider) in the collaborative IEP (Individualized Education Plan) team context.
- Page Requirement (1 point): Four to six pages, not including the title and reference pages.
- APA Formatting (1 point): Use APA formatting consistently throughout the assignment.
- Syntax and Mechanics (1 point): Display meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling and grammar.
- Source Requirement (1 point): Reference three scholarly sources in addition to the course textbook that provide compelling evidence to support your ideas. All sources on the references page need to be used and cited correctly within the body of the assignment.
References that might help you
Laura (2008, April 28). Four ways of listening [Wordpress]. Retrieved from http://auditorylearner.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/four-ways-of-listening/