Discuss which barriers in the U.S. health care delivery system related to cost, quality, and/or access.
Note: Before completing this Discussion, please familiarize yourself with the Week 2 Discussion 1 Rubric located in the Course Information area of the course navigation menu.
A person’s health may be greatly impacted by his or her access to timely, appropriate care. Yet, in the United States, there are marked differences in the quality of services that are available and in each individual’s use of those services. The cost of health care, for instance, can influence a person’s decision to visit the doctor or fill a prescription. What other factors impact health care-related decisions? In this Discussion, you will examine two case studies that illustrate dilemmas related to cost, quality, and access to health care, and consider the potential influence these dilemmas can have on a person’s health, financial standing, and quality of life.
Read the Week 2 Discussion 1 Case Studies document, found in this week’s Learning Resources. Review the information presented in the Learning Resources, including Chapter 12 in the Shi and Singh (2015) textbook and the websites and articles. Analyze the circumstances presented in the two case studies, and consider the following questions:
- Which barriers in the U.S. health care delivery system related to cost, quality, and/or access are evident in each scenario?
- How does the use of health insurance influence concerns or decisions related to cost, quality, and/or access to health care for each person?
- What are the possible health care outcomes in each scenario?
Post by Day 3 a substantive and cohesive response to the following:
- Analyze at least two barriers in the U.S. health care delivery system related to cost, quality, and/or access that are evident in each person’s scenario.
- Analyze how health insurance may influence concerns or decisions related to cost, quality, and/or access to health care for each person.
- Explain potential health care outcomes for each scenario.
Reminder: Use and identify sources to support your posting and responses.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
General Guidance on Discussion Posts: Your original post, due by Day 3, will typically be 3–4 paragraphs in length as a general expectation/estimate. Refer to the Week 2 Discussion 1 Rubric for grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use the rubric to assess your work.