Explain what may constitute a material breach and list the relevant factors in determining if a material breach exists.
Please answer the following questions (1 or 2 paragraphs for each question), and please make the answers separate (make sure to number the answers):
1. What is the legal effect of an agreement that is criminal, tortious, or otherwise contrary to public policy, and why does it have that effect?
2. Stan orally agreed to sell his house to Humphrey and Humphrey made a down payment. Humphrey wanted it ready for his family quickly, so he had a new roof put on, new carpeting installed, and renovated the kitchen. Stan now thinks the place looks great and has decided not to sell. A business law student told him he could refuse to sell because the agreement was oral. Can he? Explain.
3. Explain what may constitute a material breach and list the relevant factors in determining if a material breach exists.
4. Matt and Ron would like to form a corporation. Discuss what is required in most states to form a corporation.
5. Elmer has been a faithful worker at the Middle America Manufacturing Company for over 30 years. One day when he comes to work, he gets called into the supervisor\’s office and is told that the company has decided to lay off all of its current employees and move the plant to India.
a. Does Elmer have any protections under the common law doctrine of employment at will? Explain.
b. Does Elmer have any protections under employment discrimination law? Explain.